Registrar – Wichita Art Museum, Wichita
The Wichita Art Museum—in the largest metropolitan area in Kansas and with a premier American art collection—seeks a skilled and team-oriented Registrar to oversee the management and care of the museum’s distinguished 10,000+ artwork collection. The museum stands at an exciting moment in its history, with a new Strategic Plan, recently opened Art Garden, and growing annual attendance. With a strong regional presence, the museum has a significant American art collection with works across media and history. The prized Roland P. Murdock Collection anchors the museum and features masterpieces of American art from Winslow Homer to Mary Cassatt to Georgia O’Keeffe.
The Registrar manages all aspects of the Wichita Art Museum’s registration and collections management functions including temporary and traveling exhibitions, incoming and outgoing loans, acquisitions, cataloguing, database management, insurance, inventory, and storage. This position oversees the creation and maintenance of all object-related and exhibition-related records. The position is also responsible for the physical safety of the works of art in the collection. This includes ensuring proper installation of objects for display and in storage, ensuring safe methods of packing and transport of objects, arranging necessary conservation planning and treatment, and monitoring the museum environment. Working as part of an energetic and collaborative curatorial team, the Registrar contributes to WAM’s mission to bring “people, ideas, and American art together to enrich lives and build community.”
- Comprehensive and proactive organization and oversight for the museum’s prized art collection.
- Oversees physical care of the collection and loans through safe packing and shipping of objects, proper storage, handling, security, and storage methods. Provides condition reports and other necessary documentation.
- Responsible for all aspects of loans to and from WAM, including loan documentation, packing, shipping, fine arts insurance, couriers, and assisting with budgeting.
- Manages collections management database.
- Creates and maintains collection records (including paper and electronic). Responsible for creating records relating to new acquisitions, including donor and purchase records.
- Prepares and presents reports on collection growth, activity, and care.
- Recommends and oversees fine arts insurance coverage.
- Works closely with Facility and Security staff to ensure physical safety of collection and exhibitions at all times.
- Works with Curator and Director to determine need and options for couriers, manages courier schedule, and couriers artworks nationally and internationally.
- Oversees the review of facility reports for borrowing institutions and recommends action to Curator and Director.
- Works in conjunction with Curator and Manager of Imaging and Installation to develop exhibition and project production schedules.
For full position description, please click here or visit wichitaartmuseum.org/jobs. Salary commensurate with experience; salary range from $36,000 to $60,000. To apply, email (1) cover letter outlining qualifications, (2) resume, and (3) three references with contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position will be open until filled.