Museum Director – Fort Smith Museum of History, Fort Smith, Arkansas
Museum Director – Fort Smith Museum of History,
Fort Smith, Arkansas
Opening: Museum Director
Institution Name: Fort Smith Museum of History
Entry Level: No
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Duration: Indefinite
Job Function: Director/Administration
Min Education: BA/BS/Undergraduate
Min Experience: Prefer Minimum Experience of 5 years
Required Travel: 0-10%
Salary: $45,000.00 – $50,000.00 (Yearly Salary)
Benefits: PTO and Holidays
Application Deadline: Until filled
Fort Smith Museum of History, Fort Smith, Arkansas
The Fort Smith Museum of History (FSMH), located in the city of Fort Smith in western Arkansas, seeks an energetic and innovative Director to reinvigorate and refocus this 100+ year old Museum. Under the direction and guidance of an engaged and committed Board of Trustees, the Director is responsible for overall management, direction, and promotion of the Museum. The ideal candidate will foster a forward-thinking culture that adheres to professional museum practices, standards and ethics in pursuit of the Museum’s mission to collect, preserve and share the history and culture of Fort Smith and the surrounding region.
- Ensures operations and administration are in compliance with FSMH plans and museum industry standards, as well as applicable governmental laws, rules and regulations.
- Provides strategic vision and direction through planning, including short and long-range plans.
- Is a professional and effective leader to staff; responsible for hiring, disciplining, terminating, and completing performance appraisals; promotes and facilitates staff professional development; fosters collaborative workplace.
- Manages the budget and prepares financial reports in conjunction with the board treasurer; oversees financial management, including earned-income functions and programming.
- Develops and implements a comprehensive fundraising plan in collaboration with Board of Trustees; secures outside funding sources through grants, gifts, and support from other constituencies
- Oversees operation and maintenance of facility in collaboration with Building & Grounds Chairperson; develops and implements facility plan that is suitable and sustainable for collections and visitors.
- Oversees collection management and exhibit schedule.
- Oversees educational programming and interpretation.
- Directs the development of public relations and marketing initiatives; serves as spokesperson and builds strategic partnerships and collaborations within the community.
- Strengthens volunteer program; directs the training and supervision of volunteers.