KMA 2020 Virtual Conference – FAQ
**Recently added answers are in BOLD below. Updated 10.31.20
Who is eligible to register for free as a member?
- Anyone who is a current 2020 student or individual member
- Anyone who is affiliated with a current 2020 institutional or business member. There are no limits on the number of people who may register, as long as they list the current member institution or business. This opens the conference to ALL staff members, board members, volunteers, interns, etc.
We haven’t renewed our membership – what can we do?
- Renew your membership now to make sure you can attend the conference for free
- We recognize that many of our members and their institutions have been financially impacted by the pandemic. If you are in need of financial assistance to become a KMA member and attend our 2020 virtual conference, click here to apply for our a relief membership. Relief memberships are only available for the 2020 calendar year.
- Who is eligible for relief membership?
Any individual, student, or institution without a current 2020 membership who lives, pursues museum education, or works in the state of Kansas.
- Who is eligible for relief membership?
I have renewed my membership – am I automatically registered?
- NO – each person who wants to attend the conference needs to register independently of membership renewal and independently of others in their organization. You can register here.
What is included in the free registration?
- Access to the password protected website, which will be the gateway to keynote speakers, sessions, lunch n’ learns, the KMA business meeting, virtual tours, happy hours, and more!
What if I can’t join November 4-6?
- You can still access the content on demand after the conference ends! It will be posted after the conference concludes and will be available for one month on a password protected website. Register now to make sure you don’t miss out!
Does everyone need to register?
- Yes, we need each individual who wants to access the conference – even those from the same institution – to register separately for our tracking and to fulfill our grant requirements.
What about the pre-conference workshop?
- The pre-conference workshop is an optional add on, and requires you to select it during registration and pay a $40 fee.
What are the KMA Conference Policies?
- KMA is committed to our 2020 virtual conference being a welcoming and inclusive space for everyone. We have developed our KMA Conference Policies with that in mind. Please click here to read the policies. Note that by submitting a registration to the KMA 2020 Virtual Conference, you agree to these policies and specifically the following: You authorize KMA to use, reproduce, and/or publish photographs and/or video that may pertain to you — including your image, likeness, and/or voice without compensation.
Technology/Virtual Conference Information
How will I know what to do?
- We have compiled a comprehensive guide to Zoom, the platform we are using for the KMA virtual conference. Click here to answer your Zoom questions, whether you are a first time user or a pro!
Do I have to take part in all of the activities?
- We know you’re busy and that Zoom fatigue is real. Join us whenever you can over the course of the 3 day conference, and take breaks when you need to. We have shortened our usual sessions from 1.25 hours to 30-45 minutes to better accommodate the virtual format, and have built in more frequent breaks, too.
I’M HAVING TECH ISSUES!!!
- Never fear – we are here to help! If you are having technical issues this link may help. If not, click on the “chat with us” text bubble in the bottom right corner of any page of the KMA website, and we will help you in the order in which we receive your message. If it takes a few minutes, don’t worry – the sessions and speakers will be recorded and you will have access to those recordings for a month after the conference, so you don’t have to miss a thing!
Why is the 2020 Conference virtual?
- We always look forward to connecting in person at the annual conference, but when it was time to put down deposits and proceed with planning in the spring, we felt it was more prudent to start planning a virtual conference that would be available no matter the state of the world and which would help keep our members across the state safe.
Will the 2021 Conference be virtual?
- We anticipate holding an in person conference in Lawrence in the fall of 2021.