Executive Director – Franklin County Historical Society, Ottawa
Position: Executive Director
Application Deadline: October 31, 2017
The Franklin County Historical Society is located in Ottawa, Kansas and was founded in 1937. The mission of the Franklin County Historical Society is to preserve, present and promote the rich history of Franklin County and relate it to the history of the state of Kansas and the nation. The historical society oversees the Old Depot Museum, the Franklin County Records and Research Center, and the Dietrich Cabin.
This job announcement is for the hiring of a full-time Executive Director to provide leadership and administration over the Franklin County Historical Society.
The Executive Director serves as the lead staff member and overall administrator for the Franklin County Historical Society. They are responsible for the day-to-day operations of the historical society’s facilities. The Executive Director reports directly to the Board of Trustees. The Executive Director oversees a yearly budget of $140,000 and a part-time staff including a Museum Manager, Archivist, and Collections Manager.
This position is designated an at-will, exempt position and may require evening or weekend hours as needed.
Education and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in History, Public History, Museum Studies, Nonprofit Administration/Management, or equivalent degree program. Passion towards history is preferred.
- Experience in museum or nonprofit work.
- Advanced degree in History, Public History, Museum Studies, Nonprofit Administration/Management, or equivalent degree program.
- Management or administrative experience.
- Experience creating museum exhibits.
- Experience in successful grant-writing.
- Knowledge of Past Perfect and Microsoft Office programs.
- Knowledge of history and culture of Franklin County, Kansas.
- Experience in non-profit fund-raising and budget management.
For a full position description and application instructions, please click here.